Strategic Business Plan
The Centre’s primary focus is on early intervention and the provision of information to empower the community to help themselves. We provide social and health groups, educational workshops, community engagement days, events to bring the community together, children’s and family services.
The Centre also provides a long established Out of School Hours (OOSH) Service, morning and afternoon and vacation care for up to 75 children a day.
Kariong Neighbourhood Centre is a community hub for Kariong and surrounding areas in the Central Coast Hinterland. Our Centre was built for the community in 1988 and is leased from Gosford Council. While our main funding body is the Department of Family and Community Services, we also seek other grants to fund community projects. Our governing body is the Local Community Services Association www.lcsansw.org.au
From the moment you walk through our doors you are welcomed into a safe and friendly atmosphere which promotes a sense of belonging. Our main focus is to bond the community and build resilience by responding to local needs. We achieve this through:
- Community consultation
- Running community-based activities
- Developing community projects and events
- Providing information and referral services
- Promoting holistic health and well being
- Building on individual skills and strengths
We are an incorporated association governed by a Board elected by our members at each AGM. For more information about becoming a member of Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Inc. please see contact us.
OOSH Nominated Supervisor
OOSH Nominated Supervisor
Childcare Educator – Vacation Care
Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Board
Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Inc. currently employs seven permanent staff. This consist of the Manager, Bookkeeper, two part-time Administration staff, Kariong Out Of School Hours Care Co-ordinator, Kariong Out Of School Hours Care Assistant Co-ordinator and permanent part-time Child Care workers, along with twelve casual Child Care workers. All staff contribute to planning projects and events, co-ordinating programs, activities and rosters, preparing for groups and ensuring community requests and enquiries are addressed in a timely manner.
In addition to paid staff, we could not operate without our dedicated group of volunteers. We currently have 21 volunteers who contribute many skills and have set roles within Kariong Neighbourhood Centre. We can assist them to gain new skills and provide references that may lead to employment at Kariong Neighbourhood Centre.
Friendly, Caring, Safe and Connected Communities.
- Continuous Improvement– KNC is committed to ongoing reviews and advancement of Staff and every aspect of its business.
- Reliable & Safe– KNC aims to provide an environment that is comfortable, protected and assured for all stakeholders.
- Community Leadership– KNC offers its communities–knowledge, assistance and direction.
- High Quality Services– KNC aims to achieve success with every accreditation and measurement standard.
- Strategy A: Governance & Risk Management
KNC relies on good governance by Directors, through policies and procedures that support personnel, services and communities.
- Strategy B: People & Culture
KNC seeks to have Staff and volunteers with commitment, skills and resources and who are passionate about meeting the needs of clients and the communities it serves.
- Strategy C: Communities and Services
KNC seeks to achieve the highest recognised standards and reputation possible for a community-based organisation and for delivering sustainable, quality services to its communities.
- To foster relationships and embrace diversity through mutual respect.
- Provide opportunities for the community to develop skills, build self-esteem, interact with others and bring about a greater sense of belonging.
- Provide information, education and advocacy through the delivery of events, activities and support services.
- Encourage local services to share resources and support each other to deliver best practice
Social Enterprise and Funding
Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Inc. has 3 social enterprises consisting of Kariong Out Of School Hours Care, NDIS and Early Intervention and is additionally funded by FACs on a 3 year grants program. FACs provide us with annual funding and a Service Agreement which outlines the respective roles and legal obligations within our partnership. In addition, we have a Service Specification, outlining our agreed service activities which we report onto FACs 6 monthly. This Service Specification is adapted to suit the needs of our Centre and community, while also specifying to a broad headline result from the grants program which is:
- Disadvantaged children, young people, families and disadvantaged Communities are resilient and safe.
Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Board
The Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Board is made up of Kariong Neighbourhood Centre members who volunteer their time and skills to operate as the Board of Governance. The KNC Board consist of the Executive Committee (the President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary) and three Ordinary Members . They meet bi-Monthly and in addition have smaller committees consisting of the following: IT Committee, Finance Committee, Executive Committee and the OOSH Committee to address immediate problems. They are collectively responsible for the proper management of the affairs of the Kariong Neighbourhood Centre, as set out in the Constitution.
The duties of the Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Board are:
- Act as a body through the President
- Ensure its own competency by making sure a range of skills and expertise exist, or providing training for its members, in the area of:
- Legislation and ethics
- Strategic planning
- WH&S and environmental requirements
- Human resources
- Service promotion
Our Board Members are:
- President: Tom Wilson
- Treasurer: Iris Clay
- Ordinary Members: Jenny Palmer, Rosina Quigley-Bird, Lauren Talbot, Kim Casey and Ron Thomsen.
Residents of the Kariong and neighbouring districts or anyone with a vested interested in Kariong are able to be members of Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Inc. We have 160 members of the centre. Application for membership are submitted to Kariong Neighbourhood Centre Board for approval. Members play a vital part in the operation of Kariong Neighbourhood Centre. They represent the community by bringing forward ideas and constructive feedback to improve the service. Kariong Neighbourhood Centre involves their members by providing morning tea with guest speakers three times a year, plus a Christmas Party.
- Individual Membership $5.00 per annum
- Couple/Family Membership $8.00 per annum
- Kariong Community/NGO Groups Membership $15.00 per annum
- Other Community/NGO Groups Membership (not in Kariong) $30.00 per annum
- Private and Government Groups $55.00 per annum
Your Membership Priveleges & Benefits:
- Utilize the admin services available——Admin services: Photo copying, Faxing, Printing, Laminating and Internet access
- Enjoy the fabulous facilities of your local Centre——KNC Groups: Playgroups, Craft groups and Social Groups
- Receive emails about upcoming events, workshops and groups——Invitations to events: Workshops, Christmas party, Guest speakers and AGM